Remember how I told you I’d keep you posted on my 32 by 33 goals? Covering both Jan/Feb & Feb/March in this post, as I was a little preoccupied with travels (above) in February! I know I’m a few days late for March too, but I swear after April 6 I should have some semblance of a life back.
The good news is that I’ve been (sorta) keeping a spreadsheet to keep track. The bad news is I really need to reduce the weekly/daily goals next year. Hard to get around to everything! Still, having these govern my life is pretty fun and keeps me trying new things all the time. Links are included until I ran out of blog time!
- Pay off one source of outstanding debt
I paid off my iPad, but that was new debt incurred this year, so I’m not counting it.
- Coordinate one outing a month in a different San Francisco or Oakland neighborhood.
Jan/Feb: Night on Divis (1/25 – with Mary Ann): Ethiopian dinner at Club Waziema , The Independent for Alabama Shakes, post-beers at The Page.
Feb/Mar (2 outings!): Tenderloin (2/25 – with Andrea K.): dinner at Jasper’s, cocktails at Gold Dust Lounge, NoisePop show at Great American Music Hall | Chinatown (3/3 – with Mary Ann & Kirstin): delicious vegan dinner at Enjoy Vegetarian, Chinatown Ghost Tour (I won tix through SF Daily Secret), weak mai-tais at Li-Po Lounge
- Visit one of my five remaining states (Arkansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Alaska)
No progress, though I do have several people lobbying me to go to a gathering in Mississippi in October.
- Read one book per month.
January: Vicky Swanky is a Beauty by Diane Williams, Tomatoland by Barry Estabrook, Fun Home by Alison Bedchel
February: Hinduism: A Beginner’s Guide (for background in India) by Klaus K. Klostermaier; The first half (it’s 1,000 pages!) of Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts</li>
- Curate and share one playlist per month on Spotify.
2012 v.1: Best of January Album Tracks
2012 v.2: Best of February Album Tracks & 2012 Death Montage
- Write one min. 1,000 word creative piece per month (essay or fiction).
Big time fail…I’d like to be ambitious and say this rolls over…so I’m looking at 3,000 words in March or 4,000 in April by this point
- Interact with a stranger every day. Try and update My Stranger Project.
Blog not being updated because Tumblr’s app is terrible, BUT doing my best to be cognizant of who I interact with. In January I participated in a Stranger Dinner and that set the tone for my year in some ways.
- Discover and share something new every week.
I’ve been really bad at keeping metrics for this, but I am always sharing on Twitter & Facebook. Again, I need to hold myself more accountable.
- Attend one concert per month.
January: Alabama Shakes @ Independent (1/26)
February: Warren Hellman Tribute (2/19); NoisePop Festival: Flaming Lips/Release the Sunbird (2/21); Born Gold/Grimes (2/22); Sister Crayon & Built to Spill (2/23), Giggle Party, Hollerado, 20 Minute Loop, Imperial Teen (2/24); Hospitality, Big Sleep, Built Like Alaska, Archers of Loaf (2/25)
- Do yoga once a week.
Jan/Feb: 1/14, 1/16, 1/9, 1/26, 2/2 (combo of both Hanuman Center & Yoga Garden.)
Feb/Mar: 2/27, 3/8 (Yoga Garden)
- Cook something once a week.
Been REALLY bad about this due to my busy schedule of half marathon training and insane work projects. In February I did make a mean kale & cauliflower dish, as well as a batch of roast asparagus with meyer lemon & goat cheese.
- Go out to a bar/restaurant by myself once per month.
Jan/Feb: Toronado & The Page (1/25)
Feb/Mar (I think it was more than this): Toronado (3/4)
- Try a new beer once per week (resurrect Beer Broads).
Again, having issues with Tumblr, but also haven’t been tracking. I did cram SF Beer Week into 24 hours in February, but need to start noting new beers I try!
- Use my road bike once per month.
Got in an awesome ride with my friend Ken in January over the Marin Headlands. Time slipped away from me in February.
- Try a new hike once per month.
Did a lot of walking/climbing over ruins in India (spans both Jan/Feb & Feb/Mar). Nothing hard core, but I’m counting them as hikes until I get my ass back in gear to hike here.
- Spend the night in six other California cities/towns.
No progress, but plans for May, July and September taking shape.
- Achieve something major professionally.
Waiting for this conference to be done, then I’ll post!
- Go to an 18 reasons event once per month.
Jan/Feb: Chocolate Tasting with Dandelion Chocolate (1/31)
Feb/Mar: Dinner & Conversation with Novella Carpenter & Willow Rosenthal (2/29)
- Have a new Totally Not For Mom story once a month (feel free to request password if you are not related to me).
Wouldn’t you like to know? Ha. This is on track.
- Make a new San Francisco/Bay Area friend a month.
Thanks to a post-Stranger Dinner brunch in January, I ended up finding a great new group of friends, many of whom just moved here from further north in California. Great to have new concert and exploring the city buddies!Darian & Ritu couldn’t have done any better organizing a pre-wedding tour in India. Our whole group bonded beyond expectations, and luckily four of the others life in San Francisco!
- Volunteer for something new each month.
Jan/Feb: Rice Paper Scissors Dungeness Crab pop-up dinner
Feb/Mar: SF Green Film Festival, SF Asian American Film Fest
- Use my digital camera at least once a week.
Been VERY bad at this outside of India. Any creative ideas on how I can mix this up?
- Go to an art event, film screening or lecture at least once per month.
Jan/Feb: SF Ballet Opening Night, Museum Member for a Day Day, “Cultural Dance” in Kharjuraho, India
Feb/Mar: A Second Story opening (2/23), Urban Farming Reading (2/29)
- Go out for a “foodie” meal at least once a month.
Jan/Feb: Bar Jules (1/11)
Feb/Mar: Jasper’s (2/25), La Mar (3/4)
- Kiss a South American. (This has been an unofficial goal for several years, as it’s my last remaining inhabited continent. I figure by making it official maybe I’ll be more motivated.)
Continues to be elusive.
- Be the kind of person you don’t meet everyday, every day. (Thanks Derek for this one!)
I’m trying! (But hoorah for abstract goals).
- Walk down a new street in SF each month. (Thanks Mary Ann!)
Jan/Feb: Church Street between 18th & Market
Feb/Mar: Chinatown Tour
- Learn who each of the San Francisco supervisors are and who/where they represent. (Thanks Jodi!)
I know my new one, but I really need to get a hustle on learning this.
- Pamper myself with a massage, facial or mani/pedi once a month. (Thanks again Jodi!)
Jan/Feb: In-Symmetry Massage (1/21), Stork Skin Therapy Facial (1/24), Kharjuraho Aruyvedic Massage (2/9)
Feb/Mar: Jabalpur Aruyvedic Massage & Facial (2/15)
- Befriend someone over 60. (Thanks Sadie!)
As luck would have it, I ended up rooming with the groom’s mother, Annette, on the India trip. After turning the room upside down looking for a passport (not mine), we’re bonded for life 🙂
- Buy something for a stranger once a quarter. (Thanks Dave P!)
I guess I better get on it this month!
- Send a letter or card to a different person once a week.
Need to track timing on this, but doing fairly well.January: Mar, Jane, Aunt Eileen
February: Kat, Jason, Catherine, Heather C.