Well thanks to my crazy May travel schedule, this is a double-post. Here’s how I’m doing almost halfway into this year. And yes, I fail at linking.
- Pay off one source of outstanding debt
I PAID OFF MY STUDENT LOANS! I know you’re supposed to pay off your credit cards first, but this was a big psychological hurdle for me. And now I see a light at the end of the debt tunnel. I can’t wait!
- Coordinate one outing a month in a different San Francisco or Oakland neighborhood.
In April I had a great outing in the Fillmore with my friend Sunny. We dined at State Bird Provisions, grabbed a drink at The Social Study, and saw Wild Flag at The Fillmore. Brilliant. The May outing didn’t quite happen due to travels. An amended (and lame) version would probably be showing my friend Katey The Mission by way of Sunday Streets happening there. I know I’ve been to the Mission enough to roll my eyes at it, but it was fun to see it from an outsiders perspective.
- Visit one of my five remaining states (Arkansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Alaska)
No updates, although lots of pressure to go to a gathering in MS in October.
- Read one book per month.
My McSweeney’s book club Christmas gift is paying off. Read Hot Pink, a collection of short stories by Adam Levin, in April and wrapped Magic Hours, essays by Tom Bissell just in time for my June 10 deadline for “May.” I also read the graphic novel The Peerless Prodigies of P.T. Barnum by Jillian Lerner. I bought a copy from the author herself at a circus saloon book launch.
- Curate and share one playlist per month on Spotify.
In April I kept it simple: 2012 v.4: Best of April Tracks. However in May, I expanded from just 2012 v.5: Best of May Tracks, and also kept it topical with Venus in Transit.
- Write one min. 1,000 word creative piece per month (essay or fiction).
Still failing and up to 6,000 words in the bucket.
- Interact with a stranger every day. Try and update My Stranger Project.
Blog STILL not being updated because Tumblr excuses. Interacted with many people in my travels and taking note of the random neighborhood characters I cross paths with.
- Discover and share something new every week.
Repeating my excuse. I’ve been really bad at keeping metrics for this, but I am always sharing on Twitter & Facebook. Again, I need to hold myself more accountable.
- Attend one concert per month.
April (thanks to Fauxcella): Mazzy Star (4/11); Pulp (4/17); Wild Flag (4/18); St. Vincent/Tune-Yards (4/19)
May: Tanlines (5/16 – in Berlin)
- Do yoga once a week.
Bad about being consistent. Good about binging. 4/17 (ashtanga), 4/24 (ashtanga), 5/8 (ashtanga), 5/9 (restorative). 5/19: self practiced Ashtanga, 6/6: vinyasa, 6/8: vinyasa, meditation.
- Cook something once a week.
Been REALLY bad about this due to my busy schedule. Roasted asparagus & black cod (4/11) 5/30: leek frittata, 6/4: cooking class, 6/10: radish greens & pasta.
- Go out to a bar/restaurant by myself once per month.
My usual haunt of Toronado, joined by The Social Study during the Film Festival. I also (obviously) did a lot of soloing in Berlin & Croatia.
- Try a new beer once per week (resurrect Beer Broads).
Again, having issues with Tumblr, but also haven’t been tracking beyond this:
4/12: Almanac Winter Wit, 4/24: Port Reyes Porter / Berliner Pils (5/16), Croatian Beer – Karlovačko & Ožujsko, In With the New (magnolia) 5/27, St. Feullian Special (6/6)
- Use my road bike once per month.
In April my friend Lindsey visited and we rode the GGB before I went to work. In May I rented a road bike (it counts) and did 30 miles in Sonoma with the Brintons. I also rented a crappy bike and rode 30 miles around the island of Vis.
- Try a new hike once per month.
Hiked the Cataract Trail in Marin in April and a bit around Vis (without getting blown up) in May.
- Spend the night in six other California cities/towns.
Geyserville and Sacramento under my belt! 4 to go.
- Achieve something major professionally.
- Go to an 18 reasons event once per month.
Open Café (4/12) and a cooking class, Unsung: Neglected Vegetable Heroes (6/4)
- Have a new Totally Not For Mom story once a month (feel free to request password if you are not related to me).
Definitely some good ones worth updating the *other* blog at some point.
- Make a new San Francisco/Bay Area friend a month.
Still cultivating friendships with people I’ve met volunteering and through work in the last two months.
- Volunteer for something new each month.
SFIFF, Bike to Work Day in April and in May/June I did Bike Coalition Phone Banking
- Use my digital camera at least once a week.
Used it more with my travels, but need to reduce this to once a month next year.
- Go to an art event, film screening or lecture at least once per month.
April: SF Ballet Balanchine tribute & SFIFF; May: Balloonacy!, Mota Italic Party (Berlin) and TYPO Berlin
- Go out for a “foodie” meal at least once a month.
State Bird Provisions (4/18) and Roki’s on Vis (5/24)
- Kiss a South American. (This has been an unofficial goal for several years, as it’s my last remaining inhabited continent. I figure by making it official maybe I’ll be more motivated.)
No progress. Continues to be elusive. Maybe I’ll just have to travel there.
- Be the kind of person you don’t meet everyday, every day. (Thanks Derek for this one!)
Repeat: I’m trying! (But hoorah for abstract goals).
- Walk down a new street in SF each month. (Thanks Mary Ann!)
Been really bad at noting this. Need to step it up!
- Learn who each of the San Francisco supervisors are and who/where they represent. (Thanks Jodi!)
Made some progress on BTWD, but need to get cracking.
- Pamper myself with a massage, facial or mani/pedi once a month. (Thanks again Jodi!)
Massage 5/2 and Pedicure at Airport 5/14
- Befriend someone over 60. (Thanks Sadie!)
Achieved in Feb!
- Buy something for a stranger once a quarter. (Thanks Dave P!)
Still have to figure out this quarter.
- Send a letter or card to a different person once a week.
Like yoga, I’m tending to binge on this. Really fun though! The great part is I’m beginning to get random mail as a result.