It looks like I owe two months of updates. It’s still not my best year, but I’m trying even as life throws me unexpected turns:
- Pay off one source of outstanding debt.
Alas, this is not going to happen this year, unless a winning lottery ticket is in my future. That said, I’m staying on top of my debt and provided I reign in my bootstraps a little, may have this thing beat by the end of my 35th year. Wouldn’t that be nice?
- Do yoga twice a week.
Thankfully Yoga Garden had an Autumnal Equinox sale and I’ve been able to go for unlimited classes again. I faltered a bit in August and early September, but feel like I’m back on track.
- Visit one of my four remaining states (Arkansas, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Alaska).
See #1, I just don’t think this is prudent to happen before I turn 34. That said, perhaps by the end of my 35th year I’ll have all 50. That seems like a reasonable goal.
- Publish one blog post per week.
Getting a little better at this, I think next year it may be two a month, just to be more realistic.
- Devote one-on-one time to a different friend each week, either in person or by phone/long email thread.
Trying my best, especially while in a new relationship. I never want to be the disappearing friend.
- Eat a sit-down meal of one different type of ethnic cuisine each month (burritos & sushi to go don’t count!)
In August I hit up The Ramen Shop in Oakland with my friend Paul. In September, the fantastic Yesh took me to an insane Bangladeshi restaurant in the East Village.
- Go to an 18 reasons event once per month.
Finished Farm School and back in the swing for the remainder of the year with regular classes.
- Read one San Francisco-set/authored book per month.
Whipped through Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In during my NYC trip, so straddling both months.
- Send a letter or card to a different person once a month.
Did a random mail day, plus mailed lots from NYC!
- Try a new hike once per month.
Did Peak2Peak with Walk San Francisco in early September, followed by a lovely hike in Connecticut while visiting my Uncle Bob and Aunt Judie.
- Use my digital camera once a month.
Brought it to Burning Man AND NYC.
- See a different Bay Area band in concert each month.
Didn’t do so well in August, but attended the bike coalition’s Tunes4Tubes event and saw Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers at Hardly Strictly in September/early October.
- Get a massage once a month.
Swapped out a massage for a facial in September, but failed at getting one in August.
- Watch an SF-set movie once a month.
Didn’t do so great in August, but FINALLY saw Blue Jasmine in September
- See a different visual arts exhibition each month.
I think Burning Man just counts for life, but I also went to the Divisadero Art Walk in August and The Met while I was in New York.
- Do a San Francisco stairway or city walk each month.
Counting Peak2Peak since it was just that insane. Also, P. and I are working our way through the stairway walks book together and did the Marina & Presidio on in September.
- Participate in one community fitness event (5k, bike ride, etc.) each month.
Another score for Peak2Peak. I also did the Bridge2Bridge run in early October.
- Touch the ocean at least once per month.
Thanks to Hilary, I did after Peak2Peak. Then in late September, I rode my bike down to Ocean Beach to dip my hands in again.
- Bike somewhere new once a month.
Right after Burning Man, I biked the opening of the East Bay Bridge span. Then, of course, I had a BLAST exploring NYC on CitiBike.
- Plan six SF outings, one in each of the following neighborhoods: Inner & Outer Sunset/Richmond, Bernal Heights, Glen Park.
Only the Inner Sunset and Inner Richmond have been conquered. That’s four neighborhoods to go before January 11. Challenge.
- Use each of my SF organizational memberships at least once per quarter.
Really, really bad at this one.
- See two movies at The Roxie each month.
I can’t believe I failed at this twice. The good news is it’s movie season, with the weather getting crummier and crummier.
- Go to at least four performing arts events.
Previously completed. But I did go to Sex in the City LIVE again.
- Attend one live game of each professional sports team in the area (Giants, As, 49ers, Raiders, Warriors, Sharks)
Not sure if this one is going to happen.
- Do at least four things I previously said I’d never do.
- Learn each of the San Francisco supervisors and their districts.
Finding I’m getting better, but not entirely confident I’d pass a test.
- Schedule 1 hour per week to work on writing projects.
Nope, nope, nope.
- Go to Yosemite.
Sigh. Only in my dreams!
- Run at least 500 miles.
A couple of short running months, 28 & 23, but still on track for the year.
- Do a one week cleanse (no coffee, alcohol or processed foods).
- Travel to a new continent (Africa, Oceania, South America).
- Participate in a homebrew batch.
No further progress.
- Relearn six words in Spanish each month.
No. Still, means the same in Spanish.