Happy 2014 from San Francisco! Hope everyone had a fulfilling 2013.
The last year did not start out great for me, but with lovely people in my life it turned into one of the most enriching personal development years to date. I’m a lucky person to know so many inspiring, incredible humans – my friends and family keep me pushing myself to embrace life every day. Thank you! Thank you!
And before the New Year gets too underway, here are 13 highlights from my 2013, in no particular order:
- Declaring 2013 my “Year of Never” and doing (safe) things I said I’d never do…with some spillover into 2014 including getting a tattoo (appointment is January 6) and signing up for my first marathon (July 27, 2014).
- Turning 33 on 1/11 and having a Palindrome Party to celebrate. From Taco Cat to Mary Ram to Lonely Tylenol to Not A Banana Baton to Emily’s Sassy Lime…my friends are creative geniuses.
- Finally doing Bay to Breakers “right” with a huge gang of friends dressed as cigarette girls and handy out party favors, including 700 jello shots, along the route.
- Traveling to Colombia on a solo trip in May – my first trip to South America and easily one of my favorite places I’ve ever gone. Bogotá and Medellin were great cities, but the amazing relaxing experience I had at Hostal La Finca can’t be beat.
- Getting more involved in Walk San Francisco and the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition – I served on the Walk to Work Day task force this year, as a leader for the Peak2Peak Walk, as well as a Station Captain for Bike to Work Day.
- Traveling home to Portland twice, including a trip to the Oregon Brewers Festival with my friends Heather & Mike. Discovering more of Portland’s food, beverage and outdoors, beyond the suburban enclaves of my youth, has been a fun mission.
- Producing a second annual TYPO San Francisco and being well-underway on my third with a ridiculously impressive line up (April 10-11, 2014).
- Enjoying the perks of independent film in San Francisco. Balanced my volunteering and viewing quite well at my third SFIFF, seeing screenings of Frances Ha, Joss Whedon’s Much Ado About Nothing and Before Midnight. I also attended a companion conversation to Before Midnight with Richard Linklater & Julie Delpy discussing the entire series. Film nerd’s dream. Additionally, I continued my membership with the Roxie Theater in SF which has exposed me to some great super indie films and documentaries, including the fantastic Milwaukee-produced Jeffrey Dahmer Files and Sign Painters Movie (always love supporting Midwestern independent filmmaking).
- Visiting Milwaukee over the 4th of July so I could meet my neph-faux, Will, the son of a dear long-time friend. I caught up with many folks while there and enjoyed the hospitality of many of you, special thanks to Robin & Garry, Jackie & Mike and Kim & Steve.
- Participating in the 18 Reasons Farm School program. Becoming more involved with a community of people who care about where their food comes from and want everyone to have access to healthy, tasty, fair-labored and local food.
- Attending a conference in NYC for work and catching up with friends and family back east. Plus I got to bike around Manhattan/Brooklyn on CitiBike!
- Experiencing my first Burning Man. A huge thanks to my fabulous roommates, Sadie & Omar for encouraging me to do it (and setting forth the Year of Never idea), and to the Decadent Oasis crew for embracing me into their camp/world. Also to all the former/current Burners who barraged me with tips/advice before I departed for the playa. I’m still so glad I went.
- Meeting a pretty great dude at a Cheese Curd Party who loves San Francisco just as much as I do and with whom I’ve had a blast exploring our favorite city over the past six months!
What were your 2013 highlights? What are you looking forward to most in 2014?