While I really can’t wrap my mind around where the past month went, I’m also glad to see it gone. Sometimes life throws you challenges, but man, not sure how the stars aligned for my 34th year, but this past month was a real prick.
That said, tried to stay on top of my goals as much as possible. Trying a different way of reporting this year (I know this really matters to no one but me), so here goes.
- Go to 100 yoga classes before my next birthday. Made it to 10 in the past month. Not too shabby.
- Visit at least two of my four remaining states (Arkansas, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Alaska). Booked the trip I’m calling my OKARND adventure. Going to those three states in late April/early May.
- Publish 34 blog posts. Wrote three in the past month: WTFeminism: Why I’ll Never Use Pop Expert, A Few Words on Addiction, and Stepping Up for Pedestrian Advocacy.
- Bike in a different city or town each month. Loved using Capital Bikeshare to take a morning loop around part of Washington D.C. (Thanks Brooke!)
- Pack my lunch at least 2x a week. Finding this one a bit tricky to track, but staying on top of it (and man does it save money!).
- Read 34 books. Pleased to get through SIX last month. The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri, There Once Lived a Girl Who Seduced Her Sister’s Husband, and He Hanged Himself: Love Stories by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, Street Fight: The Politics of Mobility in San Francisco by Jason Henderson, and Out by Natsuo Kirino.
- Send 34 cards or letters. Sent three!
- Strategically evaluate my volunteer commitments and charitable donations. Turned down a new opportunity that came my way and increased my commitment to Walk San Francisco.
- Go to 12 concerts at 12 different venues. Made it to two! The Strypes at Brick & Mortar Music Hall and North Mississippi Allstars at The Independent.
- Watch 12 feature films in 12 different theaters. Four films, three theaters. Wolf of Wall Street at The Vogue, El Topo at The Roxie, and American Hustle and Her at Sundance Kabuki.
- See a different visual arts exhibition at 12 different venues. Wandered into the Hatch Gallery when I visited Baltimore and hit up free day at the deYoung here in SF.
- Finish the San Francisco stairway walks book. P and I did the two Upper Market walks.
- Run the San Francisco marathon. Started training but waylaid twice, once by injury, once by cold. I told you the last month was stupid.
- Spend 30 mins or more in a different San Francisco park each month. Taking the easy out this month and going with Golden Gate Park.
- See 12 films at the Roxie. El Topo (see above) for Member’s Night.
- Take one detox week a month. Amended this to be a Sunday-Thursday, which is good to start. Didn’t drink the last week in January.
- Try a beer from 34 different breweries. Despite missing out on the first weekend of SF Beer Week (thanks, cold), I did pretty well (especially when traveling). Got 10 in (I’ll let you google): DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus!, Brewer’s Art Resurrection, Heavy Seas Peg Leg, Yuengling, Guinness, Deschutes Tasting, Stella, El Segundo White Dog, Sneak Attack (21stA) ,Winter Hook (Red Hook), Quadlibet for Tenderfeet (Magnolia).
- Attend games of 3-4 different sports. Went to the San Jose Sharks game with Marquette alums on February 1.
- Purge 34 significant items from my life (e.g. books, CDs, clothes). Took a big bag to Goodwill which included a few items, most notably two hideous paintings I’d hung on to for “it’s so ugly, it’s cool” reasons. One since my very first apartment.
- Lose 15 pounds before 35. Lost three in January. Baby steps.
- Take six friends to 18 Reasons events with me throughout the year.
- Hike in 12 different counties.
- Buy something for a stranger once a quarter.
- Go to 12 different beaches.
- Go to an opera, a ballet, a symphony and a play.
- Go to Yosemite.
- Achieve something major professionally.
- Do 34 non-knee pushups in a row.
- Get one new stamp in my passport.
- Visit my friends in Long Beach and Sacramento.
- Try 34 different recipes.
- Go “off the grid” at least one day a month.
- Make a list of 34 moments this year that I’m grateful for.