Another divergence from reflecting on these individually, as I look back at my goal progress so far this year.
- Go to 100 yoga classes before my next birthday. Thirteen classes added, makes 23 for the year. Happy with this rate so far.
- Visit at least two of my four remaining states (Arkansas, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Alaska). More planning for OKARND. Can’t wait.
- Publish 34 blog posts. Happy I’ve started my Lenten reflections. Racking up those posts!
- Bike in a different city or town each month. Barely made this one, but headed to the Marin Headlands on Sunday for a lovely ride.
- Read 34 books. Only two finished this past month (I blame True Detective for monopolizing my would-be reading time). The fascinating Wild Ones: A Sometimes Dismaying, Weirdly Reassuring Story About Looking at People Looking at Animals in America by Jon Moallem and this month’s Book Club selection, Let’s Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris.
- Send 34 cards or letters. I think I only sent two. That’s a shame.
- Strategically evaluate my volunteer commitments and charitable donations. Learning to say “no” and it’s hard.
- Go to 12 concerts at 12 different venues. Caught Courtney Barnett at Rickshaw Stop (though I missed Bleached there because I suck, am old and get tired) and The Pizza Underground (featuring Macauley Culkin) at Neck of the Woods. Only eight venues left!
- Run the San Francisco marathon. Training coming along nicely, though still trying to fundraise for the upcoming Oakland Half!
- Spend 30 mins or more in a different San Francisco park each month. Should’ve made this 12 total. Hit Duboce, Dolores & Alamo Square.
- Try a beer from 34 different breweries. Only nine breweries left after hitting the second half of beer week. 1500 Pale Ale (Drake’s), Palm Speciale (Bouwerij Palm), Abita Amber, Goose Island Matilda, Almanac Sourdough Wild Ale (& Chocolate Beer & EPA), Leinie’s Orange Shandy, Griz’s Lawnmower Ale (SF Brewer’s Guild), Lupulin Lust (Rip Current), Mermaid’s Red, Monk’s Café Flemish Sour Ale (Brouwerij Van Steenberge), Silly Sour (Brasserie de Silly), Pintail Pale Ale (Kar Strauss), SF Fusion (Lagunitas), Lips of Faith (& Paardebloem) (New Belgium),
- Hike in 12 different counties. Did a summit to North Peak hike on Mt. Diablo. Go Contra Costa county. And did a nice Land’s End Route.
- Go to 12 different beaches. On Land’s End route hiked down to Mile Rock Beach.
Room for Improvement
- Pack my lunch at least 2x a week. Again, tricky to track, but really trying. Can do a better job.
- Watch 12 feature films in 12 different theaters. No idea how I saw nothing, but it’s true.
- See a different visual arts exhibition at 12 different venues. Again, no clue how I just missed it.
- Finish the San Francisco stairway walks book. I blame the short month and lack of weekends?
- See 12 films at the Roxie. Again, sadly missed.
- Take one detox week a month. Sadly failed at tracking, though I feel I had one.
- Attend games of 3-4 different sports. Nothing new.
- Purge 34 significant items from my life (e.g. books, CDs, clothes). Didn’t log anything purged.
- Lose 15 pounds before 35. Gained back the three I lost.
- Go “off the grid” at least one day a month. Did a good job at my roommate’s birthday in Russian River of at least 12 hours, if not more.
- Get one new stamp in my passport. Going to Berlin for work, thinking about additional destinations.
- Take six friends to 18 Reasons events with me throughout the year.
- Buy something for a stranger once a quarter.
- Go to an opera, a ballet, a symphony and a play.
- Go to Yosemite.
- Achieve something major professionally.
- Do 34 non-knee pushups in a row.
- Visit my friends in Long Beach and Sacramento.
- Try 34 different recipes.
- Make a list of 34 moments this year that I’m grateful for.