Even though I’m only going to meet some of my goals this year and have gotten VERY off track with others, I am pleased to report I hit a HUGE bucket list item this past month – I have now visited all 50 states. That means two of those five big goals I set for myself back in 2013 are complete. Of the remaining, one is reachable (though challenging), another is possible (though I don’t know what it is), and the third is not going to happen, but I’ve made peace with that.
Pretty exciting stuff to check off by 35 1/2.
As for this year’s list, here’s where I’m at halfway through 2015:
- Visit Alaska.
DONE! Hopefully will get several blogs up soon. And I loved it more than I ever thought I would.
- Go to Burning Man.
Paid my camp fee. I’ll officially be with Decadent Oasis again this year!
- Bike in 15 different cities.
I biked more than I anticipated in Alaska. I now only have one city left to check this off the list. Heading to Denver for work next month and I see this happening!
- Do yoga for 15 days in a row.
I’m midway through a streak…just six classes left!
- Visit 15 State or National Parks.
Alaska helped out here with Denali & Kenai Fjords National Parks and Chugach State Park. I’m at six overall.
- Go on 15 hikes.
DONE! I should’ve made this 35. Some incredible hikes in our 49th state.
- Read 15 notable books (award-winners, bestsellers) from the past 35 years (that I’ve not previously read).
Vacation meant lots of reading, I’m still behind, but at six total now. I finally finished The Goldfinch.
- Visit 15 breweries.
Added a few in Alaska: Hoodoo, Denali & Seward Brewing Companies. I also stopped at Berryessa here in CA.
- Attend 15 separate performances or lectures.
Believe it or not I added two (counting as one) 85 miles into the wilderness in Alaska with the ranger programs at Wonder Lake Campground in Denali. Now at 13!
- See 15 visual arts exhibitions.
At 13 after seeing the Artist-in-Residence exhibit at Denali.
- Go to 35 classes at the gym.
- Send mail to 35 different people.
Sent a few bits of mail from my trip, up to 13 here. I sense a “random mail day” coming soon.
- Run exactly 35 miles each month, no more, no less.
Did really, really bad at this last month, as I didn’t run in Alaska at all. Got only nine miles on the books.
- See 35 films in the theater.
Added Jurassic World, so up to 9.
- Walk to work 35 times.
HoAdded one more for a total of eight.
- Eat 35 different ethnic dishes.
Still bad at tracking, but I did take a Thai cooking class!
- Learn 35 words in German.
DONE! Duolingo ist super.
- Abstain from alcohol for 15 consecutive days.
No Progress since last check-in
- Do 15 San Francisco stairway walks.
- See 15 bands I’ve never seen before.
- Resee 15 bands.
- Visit 15 different San Francisco Parks.
- Learn about/travel to 15 Bay Area towns.
- Learn about 15 typographers and their works.
- Publish 15 blog posts about travel.
- Publish 15 blog posts about food.
- Publish 15 blog posts about art (music, film, visual/performing arts, etc.).
- Go on 15 set up dates.
- Go to 15 events at 18 Reasons.
- Talk to 15 different friends on the phone for 35 minutes.
No Progress at all
- Create 15 YouTube videos.
- Reread 15 books.
- Reduce my debt load by 35%.
- Increase my savings by 35%.
- Learn and photograph 35 endemic California flora and fauna.